About RTÉ Account
Benefits of an RTÉ Account
There are certain features and functions across RTÉ’s digital services including websites, and mobile services that are available to signed in users.
These enhanced services allow you to have a more personalised experience when accessing and interacting with RTÉ’s digital content and services.
By registering and signing in to RTÉ you can access the available features and functions using a single sign-in.
You can register your RTÉ Account using your email or Facebook details.
What information will RTÉ collect and hold about you?
When you register for your RTÉ Account, you will be asked to provide certain information, which we require to provide certain services to you. Some of this information is mandatory.
On registration your RTÉ Account asks for information for the reasons explained below;
1. Firstly, you are asked for a name, a password, a date of birth and your email address. These details are required so we can set up your account.
As you must be 18 years of age or older to register with RTÉ we ask for your date of birth. We use your email address to confirm your password and verify your email address.
While you have an account with us we may send you emails relating to your account.
2. RTÉ asks your Gender, Country, County to enable RTÉ to get to know you better and serve you more of what you want. We do aggregate the data which we use for insight purposes only, to help us to understand our audience.
3. RTÉ has many different email newsletters that you can choose to receive. These are a great way to keep up to date with the latest content from RTÉ. You will only receive marketing emails should you opt in to receive them.
4. Optional registration for commercial messages: Should you select this, RTÉ may send you you commercial messages on behalf of commercial partners. These messages may be based on your activity on RTÉ digital properties and other information you provide. For example, we may wish to send a commercial message to a male viewer of sports content messages regarding sports apparel brands.
5. By setting up an RTÉ Account you can use the PIN function on the RTÉ Player. This is designed for a parent or guardian to set a control. When activated it only allows for children’s programmes to be viewed on the RTÉ Player. We call this function the "PIN" or "Parental Control".
Will my information be secure?
User Accounts are commonly used by media organisations. Confidentiality of your data is of paramount importance to us. All personal information provided by you will be stored securely and personal information will not be shared with third parties (unless you have opted in to do so).
What will my information be used for?
Your registration data will be used primarily to ensure you can access certain features and content on the RTÉ website and RTÉ Apps. We will also collect data about your interactions with the website using your RTÉ Account, such as your browsing history and the pages you may have visited. This is to improve your experience and to recommend similar content when available.
Data collected may be used for in-house research on user demographics to enhance RTÉ’s service. This data is used anonymously and not linked individual users.
For any type of communications you will have to explicitly opt-in as per current regulations.
What if I have signed on using my Facebook?
If you have registered through your Facebook account, please note that your social network providers will provide certain information to us, which may include your name, email address, date of birth and gender.
In addition, certain other information may be provided to us by your social network provider, but this will depend on the privacy settings and the information you have chosen to make public.
Can I use the RTÉ website without signing in?
Yes, you can still use the RTÉ website without signing in. Some services and functionality may not work on the RTÉ website unless you have an account and are signed in.
How will you prevent spamming?
Email validation of your RTÉ Account will be required to protect from spamming and automated scripts. Each user will have access to their own profile page where they can view, edit and update their details at any time.
How do I unsubscribe?
You can delete your account which will remove all personal information but leave the data captured in the system. All the data however, can be removed on request by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
What if I have trouble registering or signing-in?
If you have any problems signing in, please email email@example.comReturn to sign-in page ›